Revised 01/18/99; 01/17/00
CHAPTER 4 — The Processor
From previous chapters you know that
the major hardware components of a computer system are:
- Main memory
- Secondary memory devices
- Input/output devices
This chapter first examines
the "brain" of the computer system -- the processor.
- Machine operations and machine language.
- Example of machine language.
- Different types of processor chips.
- High level programming languages.
- Language translators (compilers.)
- Language interpreters.
What component of a computer system is directly
responsible for running a program?