created 09/29/97; revised 08/06/00; 07/20/03
CHAPTER 3 — Vector Addition
The previous chapter discussed addition of column matrices.
This is an easy, mechanical procedure.
This chapter shows why it is a useful procedure
how it represents the geometrical operation of
- Addition of geometrical vectors.
- Addition of vectors using the head-to-tail rule.
- Coordinate frames.
- Representing geometrical points with column matrices.
- Representing geometrical vectors with column matrices.
- Addition of vectors using column matrices.
- Vector plus point addition.
Just for practice,
add the following two column matrices:
a = ( 3, 2 )T
b = (-2, 1 )T